Rebuilding an Economy That Works for Everyone
Nathaniel Doss III knows the global pandemic has fundamentally impacted the daily lives and economic security of Tennesseans especially those in Congressional District 3 and that in many cases the pain is being felt most by families who were already struggling to get by.
With tens of millions of Americans having lost work or totally unemployed, it’s clear our leaders have failed not only in their response to the health impacts of the virus, but also in answering its financial toll.
In Tennessee, we’ve experienced failed leadership from our state department of labor’s delayed payments to citizens for weeks, while nationally leaders have fallen down on the job getting support to small businesses, entrepreneurs, and keeping needed programs for everyday families in place.
Nathaniel is committed to putting politics aside and listening to the experts making sure we’re containing the virus and standing up for struggling families that have been treated as political pawns throughout this crisis. While Nathaniel has felt Tennessean Congressional District 3 pains from the pandemic, his perspective on economic fairness and the dignity of work is rooted in his upbringing. Nathaniel Doss III believes that we need to rebuild an economy that works for everyone. He understands that we need to protect the dignity of work and fight for fair wages and equitable employment practices in the workplace. He knows that instead of continuing to disinvest in public education and assistance, we need to focus on investing in our children’s education and offer multiple paths for folks to attain the American dream, including:
- Continue to listening to the experts to take steps to get the coronavirus under control, including supporting robust testing, contact tracing, and basic preventive safety like the use of face masks;
- Ensure better supporting those who have been hit hardest by the pandemic, and working to fund unemployment and other systems that have been neglected by Washington.
- Working to support transparency around economic development programs and ensuring the small businesses that are drivers of our economy are not ignored from programs like the Paycheck Protection Program in favor of wealthy corporations that are politically well-connected.
- Protecting the dignity of work, including honest wages, protected retirement, and fair overtime compensation;
- Encouraging technical and vocational training, and apprenticeships to meet the needs of an evolving economy;
- Revoking tax breaks for companies that outsource jobs and supporting made-in-America incentives;
- Helping small business owners, especially entrepreneurs of color and women, attain capital and support;
- Supporting pay equity across the board for all Tennesseans;
- Fighting against burdensome regulations on small businesses;
- Protecting Tennessee’s new film industry from political extremism; and
- Advocating for a livable wage to ensure the dignity of working people.